Brad Nicholson bnichols at ca.afilias.info
Fri Jan 11 06:21:46 PST 2008
On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:56 +0100, Michael Weber wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a database (with a handful of tables) replicated to our
> institute. Here, some more tables are added to the database.
>
> This resulting set (the replicated tables plus the locally created
> ones) I would like to replicate inside our institute. I do not want to
> replicate to the same master database out of security concerns, and
> because it is far away and bandwith is also a cost issue.

You can do this with one configuration.

Lets say that the external database you are replicating to your
Institute is A.  The internal database that you are replicating into in
your Institute is B, and the the third database in your Institute is C.

Set it up like this:

Set 1 - A is the origin
	A is the provider to B
	B is the provider to C

Create Set 2 with the tables and sequences local to your institute

Set 2 - B is the origin
	B is the provider to C

Now, there is one big caveat to this setup.  You will no longer be able
to use pg_dump to backup database B.  You can not pg_dump a replica, and
what you've done with this config is make B both a provider and a
replica.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106