Michael Weber dr.michi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 06:30:26 PST 2008
> Lets say that the external database you are replicating to your
> Institute is A.  The internal database that you are replicating into in
> your Institute is B, and the the third database in your Institute is C.
>
> Set it up like this:
>
> Set 1 - A is the origin
>         A is the provider to B
>         B is the provider to C
>
> Create Set 2 with the tables and sequences local to your institute
>
> Set 2 - B is the origin
>         B is the provider to C
>
> Now, there is one big caveat to this setup.  You will no longer be able
> to use pg_dump to backup database B.  You can not pg_dump a replica, and
> what you've done with this config is make B both a provider and a
> replica.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Once everything is running I don't think a dump will be necessary.
What do I do if things break (e.g. server C dies) and I need to refill
the database? How do I do this without a dump? Or is pg_dump no
problem with slony stopped.

What do I need to take care of when I change the configuration? Just
stop slony, change the config, probably run initialize node, and then
start slony again? Is it that easy?

Michael