Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 09:59:54 PST 2015
----- Original Message -----

We're not regularly running vacuum full, I didn't state that.

> Vacuum full will take an exclusive lock on the table for its duration.
> Also the cluster command tends to be faster than vacuum full but with
> similar results (re-writing your tables)
>
> Are you running vacuum full on specific tables or on all tables in your
> cluster?

Understood.

Just the one, just the once, I only mentioned it because it was the thing that caused the lag build up - and the lag was expected, no ignorance there.

However we've had similar long running backlogs since moving to 2.2 and we're definatey not ever running vacuum full at any other time.

> If you do a vacuum full on a table on your replica slony won't be able
> to insert any data into that table until the vacuum transaction is
> complete and the exclusive lock is released.

Understood.  My point is that we seem to be seeing lag recovery taking longer than expected since slony switched to using copy vs regular insert/update/delete.