Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Fri Mar 7 08:55:51 PST 2008
Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain at dalibo.com> writes:

>> > I've never used the perl tools, partially out of laziness and
>> > partially out of not seeing the need. Instead I just write little
>> > slonik scripts. Do they really save much time?
>>
>> The original point of the "altperl" scripts was as something of a
>> crutch for people that were having a hard time wrapping their heads
>> around the slonik language.
>>
>> Over time, some of Afilias' staff has progressed from valuing the
>> altperl scripts to thinking them pointless because "slonik isn't that
>> hard to write."  (I'm certainly in that camp, but I don't consider
>> myself terribly representative since I have written quite a lot of
>> code that generates slonik code! :-))
>

> I agree with the altperl tools need.
>
> What about removing the tools from the main package (all tools, not only the
> perl) and putting them in a dedicated package ?

Some of the tools are forcibly necessary, to the point that they are
included in regression tests.

THOSE tools would need to stay in with the engine.

If we took everything possible out, which seems a good idea, that
would require the tools left out to either find maintainers, or die
off.

> I explain: what about the slony1.2.14 , slony2.0 ? the docs are going to be
> *fully* updated ? the tools too ?

I have quite a lot of updates to docs between the branches; the things
that have changed in 2.0 are documented.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/sap.html