Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 5 09:05:08 PDT 2008
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> The sad thing about slony is that I still can't put my finger on one
> thing that is wrong with slony and say "if you fix this then it is ok".

Maybe the question you/we should be asking is "What are the the list of
things that are wrong with slony and how can we make them better."

In this thread some of the following areas for improvement have already been
brought up:

1. Error messages that don't provide enough details on the problem.
2. The slonik configuration scripts can get a bit complicated for simple
    tasks.
3. The easy out of the box setup for simple configurations isn't regarded as
    core functionality and is left to the altperl tools that tend to not work
    very well.

1 Can be helped by giving the error messages more details.

2 and 3 are somewhat related and could be approached in multiple was. This
also tie into a recent discussion on pgsql-advocacy (I think) related to
integration with pgadmin and slony.

I'm sure this list can be expanded on.

Steve