Mike C smith.not.western at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 14:01:18 PST 2007
Hi,

I'm looking at using slony1 for replicating a database between two
different hosting facilities. I've looked around the slony1
documentation and believe that what I want could work, but would
appreciate it if someone experienced with slony1 could comment:

I have a ~1GB database (< 100MB with pg_dump). It has a large
transaction volume, ~100 updates  a second and an order of magnitude
more selects per second. I wish to replicate this database to a warm
standby database located in another hosting facility. I say warm
standby because there would be manual intervention to make it the
primary database. While not the primary database, it will still be
used for reporting & scheduled job purposes. At some point in the
future, we may put the replicated database in several other hosting
facilities. The link between the different hosting facilities would be
through IPSec VPN Tunnels over the plain old Internet (5 Megabit
links).  I am going to assume a worst case scenario that the VPN links
will fail once a day, for up to 20 minutes at a time.

The biggest concern to me is the VPN links. I note the documentation
strongly suggests that using Slony over a flakey WAN is a bad idea.
So, is what I have suggested feasible with slony? Is there some other
alternative I should be investigating? (I have to rule out any
synchronous solution due to WAN reliability).

Regards,

Mike