Joshua D. Drake jd
Tue Jan 9 08:52:48 PST 2007
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 16:10 +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Largo Stemper wrote:
> > Can someone help me by giving me a briefing listing the disadvantages of SLONY-I.
> >
> Disadvantages (and advantages) do not exist in a vacuum.
>
> They have to be framed in some context; Slony-I can only have advantages
> or disadvantages when compared to something else.
>
> You can't conceivably have either sort of "vantage" without specifying
> that "something else."

O.k. could you guys have given the gentlemen any more useless of a
response?

In general here are some disadvantages of Slony-I:

* It can be difficult to manage/administrate

* The more slaves you add, the more load is placed on the Master
  * This can be alleviated by using cascaded slaves

* The sync model although fast can require quite of be load on the
origin/master

* It can not replicate large_objects

* It can not replicate ddl/user/groups/grant/revoke but does provide
external facilities to handle this issue

* As with many OSS projects it lacks a certain polish but please feel
free to contribute and help :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake