Andrew Hammond andrew.george.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:48:36 PDT 2007
On 8/30/07, Jan Wieck <JanWieck at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 8/29/2007 2:52 PM, Dmitry Koterov wrote:
> > And much worse - seems such DDL with comments breaks the whole
> > replication (fortunately I have run it on a test server, not in
> production).
> > I watched sl_event table on a subscriber and noticed that the whole DDL
> > (with comments included) are passed and saved in the subscriber.
>
> Where in the ANSI SQL standard does it allow -- comments nested inside
> of /* ... */ comments?

I can see having problems with "real" nested comments.

/*
  layer one
  /*
    layer two
  */
  I'll bet this doesn't work
*/

Or, if you want to get really stupid, like this.

-- this is a stupid place to /* start
a multi-line coment
*/

But honestly, a parser that fails because of comment characters inside a
comment... that's kinda broken.

/* this may be stupid
-- but, really it should still work. */

Just because Postgres itself allows it doesn't mean that every piece of
> software working with Postgres must be aware of this, does it?

I think that for any software which works _only_ with Postgres, it is
reasonable to assume that it will attempt to be as close to the Postgres
interpretation / implementation of SQL as possible. One of the ways to test
DDL before applying it via slonik is to run it with a rollback on each node.
If a script passes this test, then it seems to me that it's reasonable to
expect it to work via EXECUTE DDL.

Hmm, maybe that's an idea for a new feature "EXECUTE DDL DRYRUN" or
something of that nature...

Andrew