David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:33:18 PDT 2007
On 8/15/07, Dan Falconer <lists_slony1-general at avsupport.com> wrote:

> REQUIRED INFO:
>         Slony-1, v1.2.10 (both servers)
>         PostgreSQL v8.0.4 (both servers)
>         OS: SLES 8.1

Why are you running such an old version of Pg? You should be running
8.0.13 at least...

>         Our inventory processor regularly handles ~4 million updates/inserts when it
> processes inventory files.  Generally, we can only run this process once a
> week, due to the time it takes for the slave server to catch up: it usually
> takes about 5 days.

When it's catching up, what does the load on the servers look like? Is
it CPU bound, IO bound, network bound, etc? Have a look at top and
vmstat on each machine to help determine this (and post the info as
well if you have any questions).

What settings are you running your slon daemons with? There are some
tweaks to be made to sync_group_maxsize which may help. Some
additional vacuuming of the sl_log tables may help, too. If you run
through the archives, this type of issue has come up before as well.

-Dave