Dan Falconer lists_slony1-general at avsupport.com
Wed Aug 15 13:52:48 PDT 2007
	I am in the process of rewriting our internal inventory processing script,
which runs against slony-replicated databases, and I'm trying to come up with
some solid statistics on what causes replication to fall so far behind.  I've
Googled for answers and came up desperately short...

REQUIRED INFO:
	Slony-1, v1.2.10 (both servers)
	PostgreSQL v8.0.4 (both servers)
	OS: SLES 8.1

SERVER HARDWARE (both systems are identical):
	CPU: Dual Opteron 846
	RAM: 8Gigs
	HDD: 6FC 15k drives on external SAN

	Our inventory processor regularly handles ~4 million updates/inserts when it
processes inventory files.  Generally, we can only run this process once a
week, due to the time it takes for the slave server to catch up: it usually
takes about 5 days.

	Today, I was looking through the log tables, and I was surprised at what I
found: ~4.7M records in sl_log_1, and ~15M in in sl_log_2... I'm trying to
determine how many records in those tables refer to individual transactions.
I.e. I'm checking to see how many replication records are created by a single
event, since each inventory processed runs in it's own transaction.

	Any help or insight into this situation would be most helpful.
--
Best Regards,

Dan Falconer
"Head Geek", Avsupport, Inc. / Partslogistics.com
http://www.partslogistics.com