Darcy Buskermolen darcy
Mon Sep 25 12:04:02 PDT 2006
On Monday 25 September 2006 11:51, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:30:45AM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> > B) I've run into a situation where I want to run 2 diffrent versions of
> > slony (on 2 diffrent DB's) on the same cluster. While yes I can do it via
> > manipulation of the configure options, this  feels cumbersome.  What are
> > proples thoughts on expanding on the first item and, moving the files one
> > level deeper, share/slony-I/1.3 , and going along with this, would it be
> > worth while to do something simular the same thing with the .so's ?
>
> Yuck.  The whole point of configure options is that they be possible
> for the expert, and troublefree for the newbie.  "Cumbersome" is what
> one expects when making a tricky tool do tricky things in a tricky
> way.  No?

Ok as a counter to this, what about people who use some form of package
management, do it's upgrade method, and wonder why now they've ended up with
a bloched replication system, because there was no embeded call to the
upgrade functions via slonik?  Granted somone blindly doing upgrades in this
manner is asking for problems but in that case should we hand them the gun
with a round in the chamber and the safety off?