Darcy Buskermolen darcy
Wed Sep 20 11:07:27 PDT 2006
On Wednesday 20 September 2006 10:43, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Andrew Hammond wrote:
> > D. Aggressively encourage and support feedback, especially by new
> > users so that the quality of the documentation can constantly be
> > improved.
>
> I don't know how to do this in a useful fashion.  Not to pick at people,
> but it's disappointing to see what amount to "slams" like the following:
>
> First impression: it looks cool but needs *much* better docs, plus some
> handholding tools. Windows people will undoubtedly run a mile from this,
> unless there are good tools I don't know about.
>
> <http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/18-Slon-Rang
>er.html#comments>
>
> I'd be more than happy to respond with improvements, if something more
> specific was said than "needs *much* better docs."  I honestly don't
> know what this "Yet Another Andrew" :-) has in mind when he says
> "better."  If I did, I'd be entirely happy to try to address his issues.

Documentation is hard, and tends to be the least rewarding part of project
development.  Chris, I for one applaud the time and effort you have put into
the existing documentation, Because had you not, I don't think anybody else
would have and we'd still be saying better documentation is needed. Yes I
agree that better is an abstract term, but I belive the general consensus is,
replication is difficut enough without the tools (slony-I) being difficult to
understand.  I belive elein is working on more task centric documentation
which may be of a big help.