Philip Yarra philip
Tue Oct 25 13:00:16 PDT 2005
Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:45 pm, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> If you want the actual all-uppercase
> behaviour, you need to double-quote the table name (as the function does):
> > Slony-I: table "public"."ACCOUNT" not found

Yes, but I don't think that I want Slony to use the all-uppercase version,
since it then fails to match the table as it exists in the database.

I'm looking at it from the principle of least surprise. As a user, it
surprised me that my table as defined in the SQL script (CREATE TABLE
ACCOUNTS) was not found by Slony-I when I defined it the same way in
slon_tools.conf.

I suppose there's no way for Slony to know whether the table was created using
quotes to avoid case-folding or not... but I doubt that a database with an
ACCOUNT table and an account table (and maybe an aCcOuNt table for good
measure) is common.

So is the quoting to preserve case actually desirable in this function?

Regards, Philip.