James Black jfb
Thu Jan 13 00:02:52 PST 2005
Just a note from the poor sod who's databases were being brutalized by
this behavior.

We found several long-lived clients that were '<IDLE> in transaction';
fixing the offending code (a perl web application that stupidly held
its connections open, AutoCommit off; and a daemon that was hanging,
and thus failing to close its connection) and restarting said processes
has reduced our load from ~2.5 at peak to ~0.6.  The sl_log_1 table
went from ~720,000 rows to under 5000, which my gut says is correct,
given our transaction volume.

A hearty thanks to Josh, Christoper, Jan, and everybody else who helped
us out.

Best,
jfb
--