Jan Wieck JanWieck
Fri Feb 18 16:31:32 PST 2005
On 2/18/2005 11:03 AM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw at wardbrook.com> writes:
>> Anyone know what the status on slony 1.1 is?
>>
>> Is it due for release soon, and will it help resolve some of the
>> (minor administration) gripes with slony 1.05?
>
> Good news: Code has been checked in for log shipping.  It's really
> beta; I haven't yet tested it out, though I have checked in a few
> changes to it.
>
> Those interested in log shipping should take a peek.  The main
> documentation at this point is that slon now has a "-a" option; once I
> figure it out, more docs as to what other configuration has to take
> place will presumably emerge :-).  Until that happens, you'll have to
> be prepared to figure it out yourself...

"-a dirname" causes slon to put files into that directory, one per sync
processing (can be a group of sync events!). Those files can be applied
to a database that was initialized with the application schema plus the
output of the shell script tools/slony1_dump.sh (needs to be added to
the build/install).

For now it only covers basic data and sequence replication. No DDL,
subscribe or merge operations are performed. Those would require a fresh
setup of the file receiver via slony1_dump.

Jan