Brad Nicholson bnichols
Thu Aug 11 21:24:23 PDT 2005
John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1) We want the lastest version of Slony - should we use 1.0.6 or 1.1.0
> for pg 7.4.x?

1.0.6 contains some bug fixes, you can get details here:
http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/HISTORY-1.0.txt

1.1 adds new features, such as log shipping.

> 2) If we can use either, which is easier to administer and setup?

1.1 is easier.  The altperl admin scripts have been cleaned up a lot,
slonik supports define/include, and the listen network is automatically
generated for you.

> 3) After we restart the replication how can we tell whether node #1 has
> caught up with node #2?

Have a look at _clustername.sl_status on node #1

> 4) What do we need to do to get a clean switch over using move set when
> making node #1 the master again? Does our web application have to be
> disconnected from the db?

Move set will lock the set, which involves exclusive locks on all tables
in the set - it may prove difficult to lock the set on a busy site.  I
recommend doing this during an outage.  Have a look at the MOVE SET
section in the admin guide:
http://linuxfinances.info/info/stmtmoveset.html

Also, important to note - one of the bugs in 1.0.5 that was fixed in
1.0.6 relates to potential data loss with move set.