Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Wed Sep 22 17:10:36 PDT 2004
Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org> writes:
> On Sep 21, 2004, at 9:28 PM, cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info wrote:
>
>> I have had a process that periodically restarts all the slons a bit
>> more than hourly whether they need it or not.  In retrospect, that
>> seems way too heavyhanded, as it makes numbers of log files grow,
>> it leaves around spurious back ends, and it's just happening
>> because some of the network connections are OCCASIONALLY a little
>> bit flakey.
>
> So if all your nodes were on a local reliable LAN, you wouldn't
> bother with this at all?  Or is this restarting something we should
> all be worried about?

Well, in view of some SIG11 problems, seen on other lists, there are
other reasons to bother :-(.

Once I'm done with the watchdog, it'll have a hook to call out "Help!"
if it runs into any problems that it can't cope with.

It seems a good idea to make sure that all system components have some
way of monitoring whether they are working well or not, and some way
of calling for help if they fall into a bad state.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ca.afilias.info';
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>