George McQuade gm
Sun Sep 5 07:23:39 PDT 2004
Hello Slony group,

The customer has 3 branch locations 1,2 and 3 which originate the data.
He also has a fourth "home office" location which would like to see all
the data agregated from locations 1,2 and 3 for reporting purposes. No
writing is allowed in home office location 4.

All primary keys take into account a companyid of 1,2 or 3 to guarantee
uniqueness at location 2.

So far everything works fine replicating location 1 db to home office
location 4.

Before I embark on replicating to 3 different postmasters or schemas and
then implementing triggers to aggregate data, I'm wondering if the Slony
slave can be configured to read from the 3 locations 1, 2 and 3 and
simply aggregate the data received.

I realize from the documentation that Slony is not multi-master, but
with location 4 being read only, this setup does not present the classic
multi-master problem of writes going both ways.

Any pointers as to a reasonable sequence of slonik commands and/or
tweaking of Slony control tables would be appreciated, of course, if
what I'm trying to do here is way off Slony's purposes, then knowing so
will help a lot too.

Thanks

george