Paul Slootman paul
Tue Dec 28 15:42:17 PST 2004
We have here a database with (amongst others) a table named 'ssouser'.
That table used to be named 'user', but it was impossible to setup slony
with that name (or at least very difficult), so the application was
modified and the table renamed.

However, I've now discovered that the sequence used to dole out numbers
for that table's primary key 'id' wasn't renamed; that is still called
user_id_seq.

This is the definition of the table (uninteresting columns edited out):

ssoserver=# \d ssouser;
                                     Table "public.ssouser"
    Column     |            Type       |                        Modifiers
---------------+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 id            | integer               | not null default nextval('public.user_id_seq'::text)
 username      | character varying(40) | not null
 password      | character varying(40) | not null
    "user_pkey" primary key, btree (id)
    "user_username_key" unique, btree (username)

The problem is that when setting up a subscriber, I did a dump of the
schema, imported that on the subscriber, and then setup slony. I first
stupidly forgot about the sequences, so I wanted to add those now.
I now find out that the sequence for that table is called user_id_seq on
the master, and ssouser_id_seq on the subscriber.

It looks like this means that that sequence can't be replicated at the
moment. What would be the best course of action? Preferably without
downtime for the master :-)  Note I'm not very experienced with
postgresql...

Thanks,
Paul Slootman