Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Mon Jan 7 13:56:21 PST 2008
"Dave Page" <dpage at postgresql.org> writes:
> We ran into a problem with the EDB-Postgres installer on Linux in
> which Slonik couldn't find the scripts to initialise a cluster. The
> problem turned out to be that the share directory is defined by the
> configure script at build time - which resolved to our build staging
> directory and obviously not the directory the user opted to install to
> on his own mchine.
>
> This problem doesn't exist on Windows which we intentionally coded
> such that it was fully relocatable. Is there any reason not to have
> other platforms query Postgres for the share directory at runtime, per
> the attached patch? Obviously this requires sharing the Postgres share
> directory at all times, but does anyone ever do anything different?

Hmm.

Well, the relevant files do all get installed in
$(DESTDIR)$(pgsharedir) (see src/backend/Makefile, in the "install"
target), so $(pgsharedir) seems like the apropos place for slonik to
go look for them.

I don't see a problem with that...

FYI, it's worth noting that:

 a) I'll see about releasing a 1.2.13 as soon as PostgreSQL 8.3 gets
    released, as there are a few minor relevant changes, so now's a
    rather convenient time to get this into the 1.2 branch.

 b) It'll presumably need to get applied to head, too...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/advocacy.html