Scott Marlowe scott.marlowe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 07:22:08 PDT 2017
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Vick Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Nawaz Ahmed <nawazid at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> 3) Has anyone else done it in here, who is willing to share their
>> experience of whether they had to do something additional or they simply
>> followed the process in the above link.
>

> No, the steps are very straight forward. How you stop your application from
> updating the DB for the time it needs to switch over is however, for you to
> figure out.

I've used slony this way multiple times and the only "issue" I've run
into is that I've often had to compile the slony version I needed on
one end or the other because it wasn't available for a given
distribution / version I was using. All you need extra are the
postgresql-devel packages that slony needs to hit.

pgbouncer is what I used to direct my application on which / how to
talk to my servers. Downtime was measured in minutes (or fractions
thereof) for databases as big as 5TB.