Tory M Blue tmblue at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:14:07 PDT 2016
Hey folks

Running into some more issues and i'm not finding a definitive tuning guide
nor can I tell why i'm backing up and why it takes so long to catch up (so
long is relative).

Running Slony 2.2.3 (but this has been an issue for a long time).

Image to show you where I am this AM , but this is a constant every AM.  I
have large updates about 2.5 million between 12am and 4am, the job is done
but it will take Slon a couple of hours to catch up.

Hardware: big 256GB 32 Proc machines (proc's don't matter here). I see very
little iowait 2% on the standby, 0% on the primary and I'm seeing a
whopping 150tps coming to the secondary (I would expect it to be writing
like crazy!)

idb01 is the primary idb02 is the secondary

MY configuration settings, or those that I think matter

cleanup_interval="5 minutes"

sync_interval=1000

sync_group_maxsize=5000

#sync_max_rowsize=8192

I don't see why my primary backs up so much, I don't see the same backup on
idb02 (which is replicating to 3 other servers. Those 3 servers  have
forward=no, so they never have anything stored in sl_log. (meaning the
graphs for those are flat lined).

I think the only thing to really tune is sync_group_maxsize, or
sync_max_rowsize maybe. I have lots of RAM, but would really like to figure
out why I seem to backup, the hardware, network, disk is good, Slony should
really be performing better, it has lots of resources..

Thanks for any ideas or where to look. Logs don't seem to tell me there is
an issue.

-Tory