Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 09:24:18 PST 2015

So after digging into this properly, the fault really has nothing to do with Slony at all.

After copying a dump of the data from the last slow copy into an isolated test table with the logApply trigger on it, and autoexplain enabled it appears the issue is purely the per row inserts into one of the tables getting a sub-optimal execution plan.