Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Wed Sep 24 10:00:37 PDT 2014
On 09/24/2014 12:29 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Kristopher <kristopherwilson at gmail.com
> <mailto:kristopherwilson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have the following setup in my conf file:
>
>     cleanup_interval="5 seconds"

>     However, it only actually runs cleanup about every 10 minutes (the
>     default):
>

> We have, in fact, three parameters controlling cleanup:
>
> a) cleanup_interval, expressed as a Postgres interval, that, according
> to the docs, indicates:
>
> gettext_noop("A PostgreSQL value compatible with ::interval "
> "which indicates what aging interval should be used "
> "for deleting old events, and hence for purging sl_log_* tables."),
>
> (see src/slon/confoptions.c for that; I expect that there's a slon
> option that will make it print out the documentation strings).
>
> b) SLON_CLEANUP_SLEEP, in src/slon/slon.h, which is hardcoded to 600,
> indicating that every 600 seconds, the cleanup thread is called
>
> c) SLON_VACUUM_FREQUENCY, also in src/slon/slon.h, hardcoded to 3,
> indicating how often cleanup thread should VACUUM tables.
>
> We haven't exposed SLON_CLEANUP_SLEEP as a configuration option, and, in
> effect, that's a value you'd want to shorten a lot during this process.
>
> It wouldn't be a great deal of trouble to expose SLON_CLEANUP_SLEEP, and
> it's probably somewhat handy to do so, particularly for situations such
> as what you describe, where we want to avidly empty out sl_log_*.
>
> I'll see about coming up with a patch, with a view to applying this to
> the various major releases.

My preference would be that we have 1 parameter in the config for
controlling how often the cleanup thread does it's stuff.

Ie make SLON_CLEANUP_SLEEP be controlled by the existing
cleanup_interval field in the config.   I don't understand why/when
someone would want these two values to be different.