Ger Timmens Ger.Timmens at adyen.com
Thu Jul 17 15:31:39 PDT 2014
Hi Jan,

> On 07/17/14 17:45, Ger Timmens wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After upgrading our environment from slony 2.1.4 to slony 2.2.3
>> we see 'a lot' more slony connections both on master, forwarders
>> as subscribers.
>>
>> E.g. on the master we see approx 120 more 'idle' slony connections.
>> This connections start around 50, groing to 120 over time
>> (restarting slons, will bring it down and connections will increase
>> again).
>
> The number of connections should not go up like that.
>
> How does your cluster configuration look like? 50 connection to start
> with sounds already high.

Master ==> Forwarder A, B, C, D

Forwarder A ==> clients (13) in location x (forward =no)
Forwarder B idle (backup for A)
Forwarder C ==> clients (10) in location y (forward =no)
Forwarder D idle (backup for D)

> Are there any error messages in the slon logs? What I can imagine is a
> connection leak in some unusual error situation. Slon reconnects but
> never closes the old connection.

Don't see anything strange in the logs, apart from running out of client
connections which we fixed by increasing max_connections.

On a client feed by A:

# select client_addr, usename, count(*) from pg_stat_activity group by 1,2;
 client_addr  |   usename    | count
--------------+--------------+-------
 127.0.0.1    | userA |     3
              | postgres     |     1
 A_ForwarderIP | slony        |    31
 Master IP | slony        |    34
 127.0.0.1    | userB       |     3
(5 rows)

I wouldn't have expect here the slony connections from the master.

>> This is probably related to the changed failover logic in slony 2.2.x
>> over 2.1.x where each forwarding note should know about each
>> other node ?
>
> Not sure about that yet.
>

> Regards,
> Jan

Kind regards,

Ger

--
Ger Timmens
Adyen - Payments Made Easy

Visiting Address: Kantoorgebouw Nijenburg  Mail Address:
Simon Carmiggeltstraat 6-50, 5th floor     P.O. Box 10095
1011 DJ Amsterdam                          1001 EB Amsterdam
The Netherlands                            The Netherlands

Direct +31.20.240.1248
Office +31.20.240.1240
Mobile +31.62.483.8468
Email ger.timmens at adyen.com