Christopher Browne cbbrowne at afilias.info
Wed Jul 16 09:53:42 PDT 2014
Hmm.  I'd thought that there were I/U/D stats captured in the logs (which,
I observe, you think isn't entirely suitable).

A look at HEAD is showing that there's a struct in src/slon/remote_worker.c
called PerfMon that seems like it's intended for this sort of thing.

Sadly, the code for this seems to have experienced a bit of bit-rot,
notably in that the struct includes some "Big Tuple" stats that are
obsolete as of Slony 2.2.

Further, it only does *any* reporting at logging level DEBUG1, and you'd
need for it to *always* report at that level to get any data, again, in the
logs, which you weren't keen on.  (And I'll accept that; it's not nice for
it to need to be captured that way.)

There's something not quite right about this activity being solely
considered as "debugging" activity that shouldn't be reported unless you're
"debugging something."

It seems to warrant a bit of brainstorming.

I imagine it a neat idea to capture some data about levels of activity in a
Slony table, thus, at the end of a SYNC, we might write out a tuple with
some of this data into a wee table, and aggregate it somewhere before the
cleanup thread cleans up the "detailed" data.