Tory M Blue tmblue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:41:11 PST 2014
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Jeff Frost <jeff at pgexperts.com> wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > As can be seen the connection is reaped, slon/postgres continue on their
> way, it's not until the next data copy is required that it finds it's
> connection is no longer there. Why it can't recreate a conneciton as one
> would do if they stopped and started slon is kind of beyond me.  Just not
> 100% sure where it's being killed.
> >

> Because the initial sync must be done as a single transaction.
>

> > 2014-02-16 16:40:46 PST CONFIG remoteWorkerThread_1: 7183.069 seconds to
> copy table "tracking"."spotlightimp"
> > 2014-02-16 16:40:46 PST CONFIG remoteWorkerThread_1: copy table
> "tracking"."adimp"
> > 2014-02-16 16:40:46 PST CONFIG remoteWorkerThread_1: Begin COPY of table
> "tracking"."adimp"
> > 2014-02-16 16:40:46 PST ERROR  remoteWorkerThread_1: "select
> "_cls".copyFields(19);"
> > 2014-02-16 16:40:46 PST WARN   remoteWorkerThread_1: data copy for set 2
> failed 1 times - sleep 15 seconds
> > NOTICE:  Slony-I: Logswitch to sl_log_2 initiated
> > CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT "_cls".logswitch_start()"
> > PL/pgSQL function _cls.cleanupevent(interval) line 96 at PERFORM
> > 2014-02-16 16:40:49 PST INFO   cleanupThread: 6541.365 seconds for
> cleanupEvent()
> >

> > Am I doing this wrong? figured that since I've seen connections at 15
> minutes of processing complete fine, I thought that 30 minutes is more then
> enough. So send the first hey are you still there at 15 minutes then
> continue with them every 5 minutes, for a count of 30.
> >
> > But the above seems to have been reaped in the 20 minute area..
> >
> > net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 600
> > net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 30
> > net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 300
>

> Set it so that it's sending keepalives every 30 seconds.
>
> Something like this:
>
> net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 30
> net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 10
> net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 30
>
> What version of slony are you using?  You may need to specifically enabled
> keepalive.

Slony 2.1.3

I've actually got it working, some tuning  (Sorry Jen, did it in the
kernel) and found that my vpn tunnel was set to a 30 minute timeout, so
bumped that to 120 minutes) and so far things seem to be working), took me
a long time to get this far, but I appreciate the assistance.

I'll look at the settings inside slony vs the kernel, just in case I wanted
to sync to the moon :)))

Thanks again

Tory