Christopher Browne cbbrowne at afilias.info
Thu Apr 25 12:40:37 PDT 2013
I wonder what the amount of data is; that's not exactly the same as the
number of tuples...

At any rate, for it to take several hours to copy these pretty big tables
is not super-surprising.

A thing to compare with is to compare this with how long it takes to dump
"db.spotlightimpressions" using pg_dump and load it into another database;
the combination of COPY TO and COPY FROM would be expected to take somewhat
less than 12845s; add in generating indexes on the table and I'd expect
dump/restore to take very nearly the same amount of time.

Slony doesn't do "magic"; it's using the same features, albeit wrapped a
little differently.

If you can dump/restore that table in an hour, and it takes Slony 3-4
hours, then I'd be concerned, but if dump/restore takes ~3.5hr, then I'd
say Slony, running in similar time, is working as expected.