Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Mon May 7 11:58:38 PDT 2012
On 12-05-07 12:51 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 5/7/2012 10:16 AM, Steve Singer wrote:

> Me too and I agree that O_EXCL certainly isn't the best way to do it.
> However, the presented patch does not change any existing functionality
> (except for the exclusiveness in creating the temp file).
>
> While there remains a possible race condition when using NFS, the log
> file I examined would very unlikely slip through it. Remember, the first
> process must have written more than 32K before the second process calls
> open(2).
>
> What I intended with this simple patch was to give Richard a chance to
> identify the processes involved in creating this problem. Up to this
> moment we don't even know exactly how this happens.

Sorry, I was thinking you were proposing this patch for commit on the
2.0, 2.1, 2.2 branches not just for Richard.

I wouldn't be opposed to a patch that doesn't make things worse on
nfs/cifs systems (if it compiles on win32).  I think we both agree that
the real problem is what is causing two files to be opened at the same
time, and we don't yet have a handle why that is the case.