Raymond O'Donnell rod at iol.ie
Thu Jan 27 14:05:26 PST 2011
On 27/01/2011 21:45, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On 27 January 2011 21:35, Christopher Browne<cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info>  wrote:
>> Erm, slon is logically a daemon, so it's *like* those programs that
>> detach themselves.  And yes, it's supposed to run independently, because
>> it's not much good if it stops replicating when you log out :-).
>
> <snip>
>
>> On Linux, there are several ways to have a "service" wrapped around it:
>
> I find daemontools works well.
>
> http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
>
> Don't mind the author. It's packaged for several distributions and
> provides a nice way to manage daemons in general but slon in
> particular is well suited.

Thanks everyone for your replies... I'm not a Linux expert, so am
getting my head around how things work.

A bit more Googling led me to /etc/init.d/skeleton (I'm on Debian),
which I'll have a go at adapting. I'll have a look at daemontools also,
as Martijn has suggested.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland