Raymond O'Donnell rod at iol.ie
Thu Jan 27 13:06:22 PST 2011
On 27/01/2011 20:35, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Raymond O'Donnell<rod at iol.ie>  writes:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Apologies for the entry-level question.... I'm getting to grips with
>> Slony on Linux for the first time (have been running it on Windows for a
>> while).
>>
>> The slon program is described in the docs as a daemon.... so does that
>> mean that when run it's supposed to detach from the terminal and run
>> independently, continuing to run when I log out?
>>
>> If not, what do people usually do?
>
> Erm, slon is logically a daemon, so it's *like* those programs that
> detach themselves.  And yes, it's supposed to run independently, because
> it's not much good if it stops replicating when you log out :-).
>
> It's not *formally* implemented as a daemon, though - we didn't go the
> whole 9 yards to make it detach itself that way.

Hi Christopher, thanks for the reply. That's what I was wondering about
- experimentation showed that the slon process did indeed disappear when
I logged out. :-)

Just curious - why did you go this route with the implementation?

> See tools/slon_start.sh, tools/launch_clusters.sh, which are scripts
> that I wrote for this purpose.  One does one slon; the other launches a
> whole set of them.

I was looking at slon_start.sh, and as far as I can make out (I'm no
expert in shell scripting) slon just gets pushed into the background;
won't it then vanish once I log out? - or have I misunderstood the script?

Thanks for the help.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland