Brad Littlejohn blittlejohn at posportal.com
Fri Jan 14 11:08:17 PST 2011
            Hi all.

            After doing a bit of googling on changing the IP address of the master and slave database servers being replicated by Slony, I'm still a bit confused on how to change the address. To give some background, I have 2 servers running PostgreSQL 8.4, and replication works fine between the database on each server. These are currently connected via crossover cable, just for the initial seed of the database (it's roughly 300GB in size).

            The slave database is going to be moved to a DR location, and kept up to date real time with Slony; however, the IP address of the master and slave servers are going to change. I currently have the following set up to set up to do the initial seed:

CLUSTER=my_cluster
DB1=trans
DB2=trans
H1=10.0.1.1
H2=10.0.1.2
U=postgres

slonik << _EOF_

cluster name = $CLUSTER;

node 1 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$DB1 host=$H1 user=$U';
node 2 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$DB2 host=$H2 user=$U';

init cluster (id = 1, comment = 'TRANS database on 10.0.1.1');

create set (id = 1, origin = 1,
       comment = 'TRANS database');

set add table...

store node (id = 2, comment = 'TRANS database on 10.0.1.2', event node = 1);
store path (server = 1, client = 2,
      conninfo = 'dbname=$DB1 host=$H1 user=$U');

store path (server = 2, client = 1,
           conninfo = 'dbname=$DB2 host=$H2 user=$U');

store listen (origin = 1, provider = 1, receiver = 2);
store listen (origin = 2, provider = 2, receiver = 1);

_EOF_

            Would I just need to change the IP addresses in the variables above? If so, would the "create set" and "set add table" calls still need to be in there? If those calls do need to be there, wouldn't they error because they already exist for the cluster? When I try to change the IP addresses in the variables above and comment out the create set and set add table calls, I get:

<stdin>:22: Error: namespace "_my_cluster" already exists in database of node 2

            If I drop the cluster there, the seed would have to be redone. So is there anything else I'm missing here?

            Brad

* This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged information and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.