Jonathon Soong jon at investmentscience.com.au
Wed Dec 7 22:16:26 PST 2011
Hi guys,

I'm new to the list and have setup Slony from Australia to Hong Kong
over a VPN - it is not a super fast link.

I have done this on one database with around 5 million rows and it was
fine - took about 30 minutes to sync up.

However with another database that has 90 million+ rows, i'm running
into trouble (I did remove indices first)

The initial sync seems to be taking too long (15 hours+ when I stopped
it).

I was wondering how I monitor if anything is actually happening???:

1. I can see on the origin node, that a COPY seems to be occurring - can
anyone tell me if this is correct?
        16083 postgres  20   0  212m 7876 5480 S  1.7  0.0   0:10.12
postgres: postgres mydatabase::1(39599) COPY

2. I can see on the slave node when I query sl_status that:
    - st_last_event is NOT CHANGING
    - st_last_event_ts  is NOT CHANGING
    - st_last_received is NOT CHANGING
    - st_last_received_ts is NOT CHANGING
    - st_last_received_event_ts is NOT CHANGING
    - st_lag_num_events is NOT CHANGING
    - st_lag_time is increasing (around 18 hours)

   Are these values expected or should some of them be increasing?

3. The logs on the slave showed this when I started slony, I presume
this is correct:
    NOTICE:  truncate of "public"."my_table" succeeded

4. The logs on the slave now show this repeatedly:
    2011-12-08 05:48:47 UTCDEBUG2 remoteListenThread_1: queue event
1,5000001502 SYNC
    2011-12-08 05:48:47 UTCDEBUG2 remoteListenThread_1: queue event
1,5000001503 SYNC
    2011-12-08 05:48:47 UTCDEBUG2 remoteListenThread_1: queue event
1,5000001504 SYNC

5. sl_log_1 and sl_log_2 are empty on both the master and slave - am I
right in presuming these are only used when things change on an origin
node and that they are not used for initial syncs?

What I would LOVE, is the ability to see what is happening. e.g. "10,000
rows copied, 89 million to go", type logs.
I can't do a select on the slave node as that seems to just hang
forever.

Any help on what to do would be most appreciated.

Note: slony 2.0.7

Thanks

Jon