Dilraj Singh dilrajssokhi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 09:23:44 PDT 2011
Hi i had some experience in upgrading from 1.2 to 2.0, similar to the above
post:

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Christopher Browne
<cbbrowne at afilias.info>wrote:

> I had started efforts on a would-be methodology to upgrade the Slony
> schema, but it was getting complex enough, including requiring some
> steps outside Slony (e.g. - the log triggers and XXID visibility
> functions changed in ways that would be really troublesome to cope
> with) that we concluded it wasn't realistic to "upgrade" but rather to
> drop replication and reinstall Slony.

I pretty much upgraded the same way i.e. dropped the working replication,
deleted version slony1 using apt-get remove purge and apt-get installed the
newer version slony1-2. After that i tried adding the new entries to the
replicated database, but i kept on getting this error.

2011-08-12 08:59:59 PDT ERROR:  type "_four_node_rep_cluster1221.xxid" does
not exist
2011-08-12 08:59:59 PDT STATEMENT:  insert into contact (cid, name, address,
    phonenumber) values ((select nextval('contact_seq')),
    'Robert', '4 Bar Roard', '(515) 821-3831');
ERROR:  type "_four_node_rep_cluster1221.xxid" does not exist

The replication cluster being used (as shown in the error) is
_four_node_rep_cluster1221 whereas i configured and started a new
replication cluster _four_node_rep_cluster2041 for the newer version,
2.0.4.1.  So i am guessing this is because of the XXID visibilty function
changes in the versions from 1.2 to 2.0. Does this mean that I cant make
changes to the database being used when i switch over to slony1-2 version?

Let me know if am doing anything wrong or missing anything because this
pretty much means that i cannot upgrade slony on the live database without
deleting replication schemas or creating new database.

Regards
Dilraj Singh