Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Thu Sep 23 06:20:37 PDT 2010
 On 9/23/2010 7:56 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:
>   On 10-09-22 08:01 PM, Karl Denninger wrote:
>>   If you use Slony, expect it to lose the replication status.
>>
>> I attempted the following:
>>
>> 1. Master and slaves on 8.4.
>>
>> 2. Upgrade one slave to 9.0.   Shut it down, used pg_upgrade to perform
>> the upgrade.
>>
>> 3. Restarted the slave.
>>
>> Slony appeared to come up, but said it was syncing only TWO tables (out
>> of the 33 in the working set!)  Of course that didn't work very well at
>> all.....
>>
>> Dropping the replication set and re-adding it appears to be fine, but of
>> course that caused a full database copy.  Not too cool.
>>
>> I have no idea why it only thought there were two tables in the
>> replication set.  Very, very odd stuff....
>>
>> Something to be aware of - I haven't figured out why it did this, nor do
>> I know if it will do the same thing to me when I attempt to upgrade the
>> master to 9.0 - that's something I won't attempt until the weekend at
>> the earliest.
>>
>> Other than that running with 8.4 for the master and 9.0 for the slaves
>> appears to be ok.
> What version of Slony was this?
>
> (Note I've moved this over to the Slony list)
2.0.4 - current stuff.

As I noted, I have NOT yet attempted to upgrade the master, although I
likely will this weekend.

This is a fairly serious issue if you have big databases under
replication!  In my case it caused a ~40gb database to have to be
resynced - a pain in the butt, but not catastrophic.  If it had bit one
of my TBish sized ones I'd be QUITE unhappy....

-- Karl