Ben Chobot bench at silentmedia.com
Wed May 12 10:22:52 PDT 2010
I currently have 5 nodes in my slony 1.2 cluster: A, B, C, D, and E. Nodes A and B take turns being the origin. Node C will always be a subscriber but is also a provider to nodes D and E, which have subscribed to their set with forward=no. (All other nodes have subscribed with forward=yes.) So:

(A or B) provides to C provides to (D and E)

I have two intertwined questions about this configuration. The first is, how do I reshape when C dies? I assume I should just tell D and E to receive from A or B.....

...but (and this is the second question) D and E have subscribed with forward=no, and I've heard that you don't want something with forward=no talking to a node which might be become the origin. So should I just subscribe D and E with forward=yes, even though they'll never forward their data on?

As a third question, I'm becoming a bit concerned about the number of nodes in my cluster, especially because I want to add a third node that might become the origin and also a third node that feeds from C in the common case. Do D and E need paths between their current provider only, or do they need to be in constant talk with all of their potential providers?