Fernando Schapachnik fernando at mecon.gov.ar
Mon Mar 15 09:51:14 PDT 2010
I have a four node setup consising of a master (node1), a slave
(node2), and two other slaves that feed from node2, all of them
running 8.1.x. I want to upgrade the farm to 8.4.3. Each Pg is
installed using the package system of each OS.

I was thinking about compiling from source 8.4.3 in each node in a
non-standard location, suscribing it as slave, waiting for it to
synchronize, then upgrading to 8.4.3 via the package system, and
renaming the source compiled data dir to where the package-installed
Pg wants it. This would allow me to end with a Pg installed from
package with minimum downtime. However, I'm unsure how the slony
synchronization would react to that.

I'm thinking that other people might have faced the same scenario
before (ie, wanting to upgrade without downtime *and* keeping the
packages). Is there any document and/or experience of how to perform
the upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando.