Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 10 06:00:38 PDT 2010
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Waldo Nell wrote:

> I need to run an update statement pretty much like:
>
> update XXX set Y = 'Y' where Z = 1;
>
> but table XXX contains approximately 130 million rows.  This will
> translate to 130 million update statements via Slony-I to the other
> replicated node.  Any more efficient way to update this?  If not, will
> Slony-I break on this update?

If you can afford to take an outage on other activity on your database (not
just that table but all replicated tables) you can submit the update
statement through EXECUTE SCRIPT.  That way only the UPDATE statement will
be sent via slony and it will execute on each of the nodes (as a single big
update).