Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Jan 14 09:02:06 PST 2010
Amaya Gamarra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve got a 2 node’s slony 1.6.2.2 cluster and I’m inserting 400
> records/second in tables with length 1 day. The records are very
> simple so I don’t have any problems during normal synchronisation
> processes. However, when I want to switchover the nodes, I find that
> sometimes this operation takes me 1 minute and other times it takes me
> 15 minutes.
>
> The reason is that the times it needs 15 minutes to achieve, the
> cleanup thread is performing a delete logs operation that needs about
> 14 minutes:
>
> DEBUG1 cleanupThread: 842.121 seconds for delete logs
>
> Can somebody tell me why this operation needs so much time and how can
> I tune the application in order to reduce this delay?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Amaya

Once every so often, Slony-I needs to delete old entries from the log
tables, sl_log_1 and sl_log_2.

In version 1.2 and earlier, this takes place via DELETE, and if there is
a lot of activity, then this will indeed take a not-inconsiderable
amount of time.

In version 2.0, the DELETE is replaced with TRUNCATE, which should be
rather faster.