Dave Stevenson dave.stevenson at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 24 09:28:47 PST 2010
I'm looking for a replication solution, but I'm no DBA. My use case is probably similar to the following, listed in Slony's online doc as a poor match for Slony:
    Replicating a pricing database from a central server to sales staff who connect periodically to grab updates.

I'm wondering what is it about Slony that makes that scenario a bad match, or what alternative might work better for me.

I use Postgresql as a source code repository. However, the server is remote, and access is typically very slow. I'd like to have a read-only local copy for comparing, reconciling, loading, etc., and access the remote server only for writes (publish). Typical usage is lots of reads, few writes, very rare and limited updates, even more rare and limited deletes (few times per year?), and maybe once every 2-4 years a schema change.

If I have a local clone on my laptop, it will often be offline (at night). Is Slony a bad match because the slave would miss updates while offline?

Anyone know of a better fit for my use case?

Thanks,
 Dave Stevenson
dave.stevenson at pacbell.net