Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Sep 7 09:14:02 PDT 2009
Gordon Shannon <gordo169 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The documentation at
> http://www.slony.info/documentation/slonylistenercosts.html states that
>
> "It is necessary to have sl_listen entries allowing connection from each
> node to every other node. Most will normally not need to be [used] (sic)
> very heavily, but it still means that there needs to be n(n-1) paths."
>
> I have been running perfectly fine for several months where this is not
> true.  I have a master node A with 4 sets.  Node B replicates all 4 sets and
> there is of course a path between A and B.  Node C replicates 2 sets and
> there is a path between A and C.  But there is no path between B and C.
>
> As far as I know, this simply means that I will be restricted if I try to do
> things like FAILOVER or MOVE SET.  I'm thinking if I need to do that, I can
> add the necessary paths at that time.  But not having the extra path from
> B-C all the time saves resources.

Which resources?  What are you talking about?  What resources get hogged by
a single config option?

> In any case, the documentation implies that I MUST have the connection, and
> that does not appear to be the case.

Well, you said it yourself that you don't care about switchover working and
that you'll fix it if it's needed.  So, the key here is that your Slony
config is broken in a way that you find acceptable.  Thus your setup is OK
for your particular (strange) need, and the documentation is correct as well.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com