Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 14:28:04 PDT 2009
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Lawrence Giam <
lawrenceg at globalitcreations.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> I have been reading through Slony 1.2.16 documentation and doing a number
> of experiments on trying to understand the slon daemon and slon_watchdog.=
 In
> the documentation, it mentions a few ways to start the slon daemon.

I see you did not receive a reply. I'm just going to comment with my
experiences. While I saw all the ways to start and manage the slon daemon,
in the end I opted to just run it under daemontools, which replaces the
watchdog function. Also, since I opted to always run the slon daemon on the
same machine as the database it was managing I could do away with the
slon_tools.conf on any machine other than the master. The host is always
localhost, the user always slony, the database was fixed for my case.
daemontools also handles all the logging and such. The slon daemon has a
config file, but it can be the same on every machine.

This is slony 2.0 however, maybe older versions work differently.

1. Is there a common config file for the slon daemon to be started and
> stopped?

The slon daemon does indeed have its own config file, but it contains no
information about the configuration of the cluster. It reads that from the
database directly.

> 2. Can I customize the config file slon_tools.conf with the options for t=
he
> slon daemon? If yes, any sample config to follow or I can take the options
> generated by mkslonconf.sh and use it in the slon_tools.conf?

No, slon options should be in the slon config file.

> 3. How can I intregrate the slon daemon script for use in /etc/init.d with
> start/stop function?
> 4. Is the procedure for killing the slon daemon the correct way to do
> thing?
> 5. If the slon daemon is started by the launch_clusters.sh script, is
> killing the proccess the only way to do it?
> 6. Can the start_slon.sh script be usable for Slony 1.2.16?

These I can't help you with.

> 7. When the slon daemon is stopped, will it be reflected in the postgres
> cluster database? Which table can I see the info?

Well, it's will be reflected by the fact that the replication stops working.
So sl_status with show the node as lagging. I have anagios check monitoring
the table and it's very goog at spotting when things are going wrong.

Hope this helps,
-- =