Michael Squires msquires at whitepages.com
Mon Nov 23 12:50:43 PST 2009
Scott gets the "entrepreneur of the day" award! But if you don't do that, t=
hen I think that Andrew is right on the money in his suggestions.

At Whitepages we have our own repository so we can control exactly what ver=
sions of packages we make available in our different environments (e.g., pr=
oduction, development). Most of those are standard packages off the net tha=
t we don't modify at all. We also have a formal "build" system and a build =
(git) repository for packages that we build ourselves.

As Andrew points out, you can get more control by doing this when you need =
it. For example, we're deploying slony1-2.0.3 right now, although there isn=
't a formal package on the net for that yet. We decided that the feature se=
t was important enough to build it ourselves. In this case we're not really=
 modifying it locally (other than applying patches that haven't gone into t=
he 2.0.3 branch yet), and once a formal 2.0.3 package comes out we'll proba=
bly drop our own and switch to the standard one.

There are a number of reasons that a company might not want to build from s=
ource. If you can put a disciplined process in place (with source code cont=
rol, clear version numbers, etc) then I think you can reduce the uncertaint=
ies associated with building your own.

Good luck,
Michael

On 11/23/09 11:12 AM, "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925 at yahoo.com> wro=
te:

> We are looking to migrate our database from PostgreSQL 8.1 on
> Release:        6.06
> Codename:       dapper
>
> However, there does not appear to be any deb packages for Slony on that U=
buntu release,
> and we are prohibited from doing a source compile due to company policy.
>
> Does anyone have an alternative solution for installing Slony on Ubuntu 6=
.06.2 LTS ?

The solution is complex, but profitable.  In your spare time setup a
corporation to do nothing but provide slony packages you need for
ubuntu 6.06.2.  Have your company sign an exclusive contract with said
corporation to provide these packages for some small sum, like $20,000
a year.

Michael Lee Squires

WhitePages
Software Developer