Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Mon Nov 23 11:03:41 PST 2009
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:27:31PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> If you're not allowed to do source compiles, I wouldn't think that it
> would be any more permissible to have someone else do it for you.

This is true, except that for reasons I've never understood companies
that adopt policies like, "You're not allowed to compile your own
software," also seem to think that random packages you get from the
backports directory are perfectly good.

My suggestion is twofold:

    1.  Teach your management that having an evironment in which you
    build and test your own critical packages is an _advantage_, not a
    burden, and that it will reduce costs in the long run.

    2.  Find out whether backports are ok.  This might have something
    to do with a support agreement.  If it does, find out how you can
    get to do what you need within the bounds of your support
    agreement.  Explain, slowly in small words if need be, to the
    sales person that you need to achieve certain goals, and if they
    won't support you you'll find someone who does.  Since Linux-based
    systems are a commodity, not providing this service is a good way
    to lose customers.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at crankycanuck.ca