Scott Marlowe scott.marlowe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 20:23:25 PST 2009
On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Vick Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have about 1500 objects in my main db, and running create set takes
>> about 5 seconds per table or sequence.  Is this typical?  Any changes
>> I can make in terms of cost of any slony functions or creating indexes
>> to make it faster?
>>

> The most complicated one I have has about 250 tables and about 50
> sequences.  I don't recall it taking that long to create a set.
> Perhaps the time is proportional to the number of objects?  Which
> versions of everything are you using?  I run Pg 8.3 and slony1 1.2.x.

Yep, pg 8.3.7 and slony 1.2.14 at the moment.  If I do this on a
machine with JUST the objects I'm replicating, I can get 10 seconds
per table and 5 or so per sequence.

On the DB with 29000 other objects not replicated, it gets up to 30
seconds per table and 20 seconds per sequence.  Which means a 5 hour
time for create set.  And if autovac kicks in it blocks create set.
so I had to turn that off.