Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Tue Jul 28 15:37:22 PDT 2009
Jeff Frost <jeff at frostconsultingllc.com> writes:
> 			   And that's different from log_level in slon.conf?  Here's the comment from the sample:
> 				 # Debug log level (higher value ==> more output).  Range: [0,4], default 4
> 								log_level = 1
> 	  That used to do the trick, but in 2.x it seems to be more chatty.  I tried setting it to 0 but it's still just as chatty.

I tried to make 2.x "more usefully chatty."

It used to be that to get *anything* out of the logs, you'd have to
tune them up to the "whoah, that's way too much!" level.

I tried pushing stuff I thought was "boring" down towards debugging
levels.

It's possible that there's too much stuff at SLON_INFO level.

It's pretty easy to grep for it all:

for type in FATAL ERROR WARN CONFIG INFO DEBUG1 DEBUG2 DEBUG3 DEBUG4; do
   find src/slon -name "*.c" | xargs grep -n "SLON_${type}" > /tmp/MSG_${type}
done

I'd certainly be open to the suggestion that some logging messages
ought to have their levels changed.

I point out how to get the "grand list" to encourage thinking about it
at least a little bit systematically.

It seems fairly clear that the messages you mentioned are ones that
warrant being moved to DEBUG1, so I'll do that, for sure.  If you have
other suggestions, then suggest away.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ca.afilias.info';
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>