cbbrowne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Apr 16 08:40:03 PDT 2009
Nagaraja, Madhukar (Madhukar) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using slony presently on a 2 node system on a WAN.. One master and other slave.
> If for somereason the master is not reachable(link down or node down).. Then if I issue a switchover in the slave it will fail bcos it cannot connect to the postgresql on the other side. If I don't want to wait till the other node comes up, then what are the options I have. I did the failover but the process of adding back  the failed node to the cluster will not be easy and right now I don't want to use this option. So is there any way I can handle this scenario.
>
> Can someone please respond as we have demo coming up shortly ?

You have two choices:

1.  If you have enough connectivity, you can submit MOVE SET.  That does
require that the origin and subscriber are both available.

2.  If you don't have connectivity, you have to submit FAIL OVER.  That
does have the serious side-effect of making the ex-origin node
considered "destroyed."

There isn't a third choice that allows you to do an asynchronous "MOVE
SET."  And it's not really possible to create such a thing.

--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>