Jennifer Spencer jennifer.spencer at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 26 12:38:53 PDT 2008
Hi, and thanks for the response.  I sent this months ago so it's nice to see it!

We don't use pg_dump to back up.  We use SELECT pg_start_backup('label'); to track the WAL files, and
we tar up all our data files and put those onto tape (using a logical volume snapshot to keep the
backup consistent).

If I needed an exact table output as a backup instead of files, I would use "copy out" in binary mode
(which it has) for my tables.  I don't know that that is fundamentally better than text, when I really
get to thinking about it, past a certain decimal place.  My grasp of binary versus text here is not
what I'd like, but maybe you guys can shed more light on this?  How much accuracy are we really
getting with text copying?

Thanks,
Jennifer