cbbrowne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Mon Oct 27 14:29:13 PDT 2008
Mark Steben wrote:

> HI,
>
> Quick question:  our master node runs postgres 8.2.5 in Massachusetts
>
> Our proposed slave node runs postgres 8.3.3 in Virginia
>
> Do we need to upgrade our master to 8.3 in order to successfully run
> slony?
>
> I have been testing on similar nodes with slony 1.2.14.

One of the official "use cases" of Slony-I is to do upgrades, so there
shouldn't be any notable problems with doing this.

It is possible to get "bitten" by differences between 8.2 and 8.3;
that's inherent to having a mixed environment, and not to Slony-I itself.

Between 7.4 and 8.0 (if memory serves) there were changes in the
handling of Unicode validation; there would be a risk, between *those*
versions, of the 7.4 instance accepting some invalid Unicode that the
8.0 (or newer) instance would (correctly) not accept.  That's not a
problem you'd experience with your versions, but that's the sort of
thing I'd be at least a little wary of.

I know that the DBAs I work with would be aghast at the thought of
running apps against variant versions of PostgreSQL for any long term
period of time, but again, that's not a Slony-I issue as much as a
general issue surrounding the proliferation of varying versions of
things in the environment.  More versions of *anything* means more
"spinning plates" in the air.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_spinning

--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>