Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Tue Oct 7 06:02:22 PDT 2008
On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 06:05:30PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> There is also a fourth possibility, which is to decide, at the time of
> subscription, by copying some data into some sort of "test table" in
> BINARY mode, and then pick whether or not to use BINARY based on
> whether the test worked.  That avoids requiring users to fiddle with
> parameters altogether.

That sounds like a bit of a hack.  But what about storing, in a Slony
table at set-up, information about the architecture &c?  There must be
some way to get this, although it could be more or less expensive.  If
it's not available, you put "unknown" in, and provide a tool to get it
and update it later.  I'm thinking of something that reads the output
of pg_config or something of that sort.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104